And So I Waited --- Turn of the Di

Here is the next chapter of My Merlin Fic. Read the first couple of chapters here

I knock on her door and my breath catches in my throat when she opens it. She is so beautiful in her pink dress, her hair wild and full of flowers. I look inside and playfully raise an eyebrow.
“I can’t help but notice that you are alone.”
She smiles. “Actually, I am expecting a guest.”
I cross my arms. “Anyone I know?”
“Maybe.”
I lean closer. “I’m afraid I do not like the idea of you having a gentlemen caller, especially one who insists on being shrouded in mystery? I demand to know who he is so that we can come to an understanding.”
Her smile widened. “I promised him I would not reveal his name.”
“What does he look like?”
“He is old, very thin, and his hair almost all gone.”
“Sounds like a worldly man.”
“Very.”
“I suppose that he is good with a sword.”
“Yes, but I think you can take him.”
“I guess we will see when he arrives.”
“I don’t think he is coming.”
“No?”
“No.”
“And you made him dinner? That is not very gentlemen like.”
 “Well he is no gentlemen.”
“Since I am already here, maybe I can be his replacement.”
She looks me up and down. “I don’t see why not.”
She lets me in. She has decorated her table with flowers and I see two plates full of chicken.
“How can you afford this?”
“It is complements of The Lady Morgana,” she says taking my cloak. “She likes you.”
I nod, unsure of how to feel about how accommodating Morgana has been, but I put it out of my mind – for now.
“I am glad that she approves.”
I sit down and she puts a cup in front of me.
“It is really odd. You are all she can talk about lately and what a wonderful couple we would make. My Lady and I have always been close, but she is My Lady and we have never been too personal.”
Gwen was right, there was something about The Lady Morgana’s interest in them that he found unsettling.
 “And to say all the things she said about you in front of Arthur.”
I look up. “Why would it bother you that she is talking about me in front of Arthur?”
I wait with baited breath, wondering if her memories have begun to return.
“I just think it is inappropriate to talk about servant matters in front of the Prince, although…
“Although what?”
“I see a change in him. He is not the arrogant prat that I remember. There is softness and a caring. Do you know that he stood up for a peasant who could not pay his taxes and forced King Uther to back down? I was impressed and proud.
“Proud?”
“Yes,” she said sitting down across from me. “He is Milord.”
I picked up my fork. I was tiring of talking about Arthur.
“This food is delicious.”
“Thank you. I remembered from last time how much you loved my chicken, at least I can remember that. It is so good to see you. I can tell just by looking at you that the time away has been good for you.”
“In some ways it has been very good for me and in others….”
She put a piece of chicken in her mouth. “But you must have met people who you like.”
“Yes, I did.”  Elaine’s face flashed quickly before my eyes. “But no one who could ever make me forget about my time in Camelot.”
“Oh come on Lancelot, are you telling me that you have not met somebody?”
I laughed. Can she be this blind? “As a matter of fact I have.”
“Oh.”
Her disappointment was evident and it warmed me. It made me feel that she was finally letting her guard down.  I leaned forward. “You,” I said. “You are the one I met and the only one I ever want to meet.”
She blushed. “Lance.”
I put my hand on hers and she looks away. I squeeze her hand.
“Next time we will have deer.”
She laughed. “Deer?”
“Have you ever had it?”
“Not really. Once I did sneak a bit off of Morgana’s plate when I was in the kitchens.”
“And did you like it?”
She let out a sweet sigh. “It was heavenly.”
“Well that settles it. We will have deer. I will catch it myself.”
“And how many paces does it take for you to kill a deer?”
“I am not sure but I will make it a point to count so that I can tell you.”
She reached for my cheek and stopped, a puzzled look was now on her face.
“What is it?”
“I don’t know, it’s just, there is something very familiar about all this.”
“What do you mean?”
“I don’t know. This dinner, this conversation, it feels like I’ve had it before. Have we?”
“No.”
She looks back at the chicken and throws her fork down in disgust. “Why can’t I remember?”
I take her hand again. “When the time is right you will remember. 
She squeezes my hand. I lean in for a kiss and I see the expectation in her eyes. She wants this moment, this intimacy, with me, as much as I do.  A loud noise from outside makes us both jump apart.
I see the swish of the blue cloak and I know exactly who are uninvited guest is. This will definitely come back to haunt them later.
“Do you see anyone?” she asks. I can hear the concern in her voice.
“No. No one is there.”
I close the door, aware that I had just told her another lie.


****
I knew he’d come.
It was not my plan for us to meet like this, in The Merry Hovel, in the middle of the night, but there are things in life that are inevitable and this confrontation is one of them and there is no perfect place for it.
He looks around, please to see that no one but me and Andella was there. Andella jumps up from the table and bows, grabbing her drink as she scurries away. He walks over to the table, towering over me. It was clear that he means to intimidate me. But I did not intimidate easily, not even when confronted by the great Prince Arthur Pendragon.”
“I am sure that you know why I am here.”
“Yes. I have been expecting you.”
“I went to check on Guinevere and I saw you in her home. You have been at her home every day this week.”
“Have you been spying on us milord?”
“Guinevere’s safety is my only concern.”
“As is it is mine.”
He folds his arms. “You and I both know that you are motivated not by Guinevere’s needs, but by your own.”
I stand up. “I am afraid that you have me confused with yourself.”
Arthur moves closer. “Guinevere has been through enough. She doesn’t need you making things harder.”
“It is not my intentions to make Gwen’s life harder. I came here to lift her burdens. She is the greatest of jewels to me and it is my only wish in life to love her the way she deserves and give her a life worthy of her.”
Arthur snorts and at that moment I know he hates me. “Save all this poetic dribble for Guinevere. You came here because you heard about what happened and you thought this was your chance to come between us, since she would not even look your way if she could remember what we had.”
“What you had?  What exactly did you have? Did you think that Gwen was happy to be your secret? Do you think she relished all the sneaking around and the lying? Gwen, who is so honorable and good? What you had has caused her to lose her mind.”
His face grew serious. “If you think that you’re going to steal Guinevere away from me then you are mistaken.”
There was no mistaking the threat in his tone.
“Gwen needs a man who she can depend on, someone who can make her happy and I’m sorry Arthur that is not you.”
 “I have faced down a lot of monsters, but I have never seen the likes of you, to take advantage of an innocent girl.”
I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “Me, take advantage of Guinevere? I am not the one who took her honor and left her to fend for herself. I am not the one who has endangered her very life for my own lust. But I am sure that it is a Prince’s privilege to exert your will on a maid, damn the consequences.”
Arthur’s face reddened.
“You have no idea what it means to be me, the pressures that I have. How do you think it feels to have so much power, to be able to command so many, yet have no control over my own life? I have fought and bled for everyone in this kingdom and I could not protect my own son! I have to watch as the woman I love scrubs floors and empties chamber pots!”
I rolled my eyes. “That is your choice Sire. You decided that you would deny your son; you left Gwen scrubbing The Lady Morgana’s floors. You refused to stand up to your father, refused to do what was right because you feared you would lose your place as Prince Arthur!”
I didn’t see the punch coming, nor did I expect for Arthur to start swinging his sword at me with such veracity. I managed to get my own sword out, clinking it with his as I moved to protect my chest. Arthur was fighting like a man possessed and I was having a hard time absorbing his blows, but I did get the better of him, finally, and I managed to get him on his back.
“Sire, enough,” I said, holding my sword to his chest. I did not want to hurt him. I just wanted him to stop hurting Gwen.
He looked at me, his expression full of disgust and jumped up, lunging for me. It took me off guard. I fell onto the ground and he had me pinned.
I heard a familiar cry from behind me.
“Arthur,” said Merlin, his voice getting closer. “What are you doing?”
“Stay out of this Merlin, this is not your concern.” He looked back at me. “I will not lose her. I have already lost too much.”
Arthur sword was at his neck and for a brief second I wondered if he was going to cut my throat.
“Arthur,” Merlin said again. “Gwen would not want this.”
Arthur’s eyes narrowed and he moved his sword. “And Gwen does not want him.”
“I beg to differ,” I said, trying to sit up.
“Guinevere does not have her memories. She does not know what she is doing.”
“And what if she remembers?”
“Then it will be her choice.”
“And if she chooses me?”
Arthur looked at me and dropped his sword.  “She won’t.”
****
I wince as Andella places a rag on my bleeding lip.
“The Prince seems quite angry with you.”
“Indeed.”
“This wouldn’t have anything to do with Gwen would it?”
I don’t answer, she laughs as she takes a swig of the ale on a nearby table.
“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?”
“No.”
“I know that you are upset but it is not fit for a lady as pretty as you to carry on so.”
She laughs harder.
“Sir Lancelot, always the picture of nobility.” She took another swig. “I hope that Gwen knows how lucky she is that you love her.”
I got up and took the cup from her. “As is any man who wins your love.”
She turns away. “I hear that the Lady DeNobley is with child. Do you think it will be a boy? A heir for their budding dynasty?”
I put my hand on her shoulder.
“You will find the love you deserve.”
“ENOUGH!” she yells. “Take a look around here. I am a wench, a peasant whore and that is all I’ll ever be! If I’m lucky I’ll catch the eye of a cook or a blacksmith and I’ll at least be able to eat in the winter, but I’ll never have love. I’ll never have Leon. That is not for girls like me or Gwen.”
I crocked my eyebrow.
“No offense, you are a prince among peasants, but you are still a peasant. You are not Prince Arthur.”
“No I am not.”
She leans closer. “Prince Arthur will never marry Gwen. He’ll use her and throw her away. If you love her, you’ll save her from that. You’ll save her from him.”
I look at her, she is broken. Leon has done this to her and if I do not do something, Arthur will do this to Gwen.
“You are right. I am going to see her now.”
“Good boy. Stop in the marketplace and get her something pretty and then claim your woman.”
I smile. It was time.
*****
I wave at Merlin as we pass each other in the marketplace. He walks closer, but I can tell by the way he is looking and standing that something is bothering him.
“What are you doing here?” he asks, trying to sound like his usual chipper self.
“I am looking for something for Gwen. What do you think?”
I hold up a green scarf.
“She likes pink or purple,” he says tensely.
I shrug.
“What is wrong Merlin? You seem upset with me.”
He shrugged. “Gwen told me that you are courting her.”
“I am.”
Merlin let out a sigh.
“Does that bother you?”
“It’s none of my business.”
“Just say it.”
“I think what you’re doing stinks!”
“Merlin…”
“You are taking advantage of Gwen’s illness.”
Merlin words hurt.
“I am taking care of her Merlin.”
Merlin turns around. “I like you a lot Lancelot. I think that you are a great man and I know that you care for Gwen.”
“I love her.”
“But you don’t know how it is between them.”
“Gods! I am so sick of hearing about this so-called great love between them. If what they had was not worth touching, she would not be working so hard to forget it.”
Merlin shook his head. “You just don’t get it.”
“And you can’t see beyond your loyalty to Arthur.”
“I won’t deny that I feel for what Arthur is going through, but I am worried about you too, and Gwen. You have to know that things would be different if she could remember loving Arthur.”
“But she can’t.”
“But one day she will.”

*****
She is startled to see me at her door. It is the middle of the night and I can tell that I have awaken her.
“Let’s leave this place.”
She looks at me like I am madman and perhaps I am, but this place is not good for her, not good for us.
“What are you talking about?”
“I’m talking about starting over.”
“Where would we go?”
“Anywhere you want.”
“You’re serious.”
“Yes.”
“How would we live?”
“I have met a lot of people while I was away. I can provide for you, give you the life you deserve.”
And I could. All she had to do was say yes.
“The life I deserve. Listen to yourself, you sound as if I am a Lady.”
I bowed. “You are my Lady.”
She kissed me. It was long and passionate. When she pulled back; I saw the turmoil in her eyes.
“I’ve been having these dreams, images that I can’t make out. I’m almost there Lance. I know it.”
I kiss her hand. “The past doesn’t matter. What matters is the future we can build together.”
“Lancelot you barely know me. How do you know that your feelings for me will remain?”
I laugh, the idea was so ridiculous. Did she not know that she and she alone owned my heart until the end of time? I pull her into my arms. “I will love you until my heart stops beating and beyond.”
I feel her relax in my arms. “Oh Lance.”
She kisses me again, but this time she pulls away. I reach for her but she quickly pulls away.
“What is wrong?”
She moves a hand to her head. “I…I wish I could say what you want me to hear but there is something holding me here…something that I can’t grab hold too, but it’s in me.” She grabs her head again and closes her eyes. I call her name but she doesn’t answer. When she finally opens her eyes they are full of tears. She puts her hand to her chest as she lets out a loud gasp. “Oh Gods. Oh Gods…”
“Gwen what is it? Look at me. Tell me what is wrong.”
When she looks at me, it’s almost as if she is seeing me for the first time. “Oh my gods,” she says again touching her lips. “It can’t be.”
I wipe the tears from her face.  “What is it?”
“I remember. I remember it all.” She smiles and let out a small laugh. When you kissed me just now…,” her face grew serious. “Lance I am so sorry.”
“Gwen what is it?” My heart was beginning to beat faster.
“It’s Art…”
“Guinevere !”
We both jump when we see Leon and a guard move towards us.
“What is the meaning of this?” I ask, still holding on to Gwen.
Leon looks at us sympathetically. “The King has ordered Gwen be brought to the castle immediately. “
A guard pulls her away from me.
Gwen nods, but I can feel her fear. I move to grab her arm, whatever the tyrant has planned now, I will not let him get away with it. Uther Pendragon will never hurt Gwen again.
One of the soldiers moves between them.
I gave Leon a confused look.
“Gwen is to come alone, by order of Prince Arthur.”
Gwen’s face falls
I seethe beside her. Arthur has betrayed her, he has sided with his father to get back into his good graces and if it’s the last thing I do I will see that he pays for this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment