The Blue and the Gold

Smallville is one of my favorite television shows and I am genuinely going to miss it when it bows out next year after ten years of making me laugh, cry and often times want to kick the T.V. in (this show has had it's low moments and nonsensical story arcs fom Hades) BUT as a Superman fan and DC Universe junkie it has always been must see TV for me.

One of the things I find particularly enjoyable is when the show pulls in other DC heroes into the fray. This time its Booster Gold's turn as he comes to Smallville courtesy of a Geoff Johns episode titled Booster. I was also thrilled to hear that his partner in crime Blue Beetle was making an appearance as well. Now I'm not going to lie, I am disappointed that the Blue joining the Gold will be Jaime Reyes' version of Blue Beetle, not because I don't like the kid, but because Ted Kord and Booster Gold are one of my favorite Bromances of all times and I was so looking forward to seeing them together onscreen.

I discovered the two a while ago while flipping through a used comic book bin. I found a bunch of Justice League of Americas featuring a bunch of heroes I never heard of, but the art looked cool and thy were only .50 so I said what the heck. I went home and started reading and was hooked. I found the "B Team" heroes to be lovable and their relationships to be interesting and I went out and got every back issue I could find. But The Justice League Brand was too powerful to stay in the "D League" for long and soon Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the A-List were back where they belonged and my team of guys were either killed off, rebranded or just disappeared.

I was thrilled when Ted Kord reappeared in the Bat Family books, a decision that worked for his character because he clicked really well in that world, then of course, as what happens with a lot of characters, he was killed off just when he got interesting. Meanwhile Booster Gold got a new life in a new comic about time travel and stuff. It's really better then it sounds. Booster's new popularity helped Ted's and with what seemed to be a resurgence in Ted's popularity I was hoping he'd get the Babs Gordon treatment --- allowed to be Blue Beetle in the television mediums even though somebody else wore the costume in the comics, but it looks like Jamie is their guy all the way and Ted will just live on in all my old comic books. So here is a tribute I found on You Tube to the Original Recipe Blue and Gold. They'll live forever in our hearts.





You can read Geoff Johns interview about nuschool Blue and Gold here

0 comments:

Post a Comment