Doctor Who Christmas Special

I have a confession to  make, I haven't warmed up to Matt Smith's Doctor the way that I expected too. I started watching Dr. Who with the reboot a few years ago and fell so in love with the franchise that I rented as many episodes as I could on Netflix, and loved every Doctor, so I was the one telling my friends, who I got into Dr. Who, that David Tennant's leaving was not the end of the world, this was how things worked in the Whouniverse and it was the beginning of a new adventure. I loved The Eleventh Hour and felt justified in my belief, but as time went by I began to lose interest, the stories felt weak to me and I found myself thinking David T. could make this story work. Truth be told, I think I was mourning "my Doctor" and wasn't as open to Eleven as I should have been. So, when I watched the Dr. Who Christmas Special I was happy to have enjoyed it so much.

It was a clever take on a Christmas Carol in which The Doctor tries to melt the heart of an old meanie who controls the skies of  the only planet where the ship his companions' are on, which is under attack by space sharks, yes space sharks, can land.

I particularly found the play on time --- Space Scrooge watches The Doctor change his memories right before his eyes--- to be nothing short of brilliant.  This was an incredibly moving episode about love, without being overly sentimental. I also like the fact that The Doctor has married companions, it adds a different dynamic to the team and it squashes the romantic nonsense that dragged down Tennant's tenure.

I am officially back on The Dr. Who train.

Five Snaps Up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment